Code Black uses the following 6-step process to perform skin or overlay patching.
- Remove all debris.
- Clean the surface of the low problem area by sweeping, using a blower and/or power washing as needed.
- Prime the surface to treat chemical spills, if present, to ensure the new hot mix adheres properly.
- Apply a tack coat (a liquid bonding agent).
- Resurface the area with hot mix asphalt by hand or with machinery depending on the overall size of the area.
- Complete the repair by edging it with hot rubber to seal the seam where the old and new asphalt meet to prevent water penetration and unraveling.