Code Black uses the following 5-step process to perform cold patching.
- Remove all debris, broken asphalt and any compromised base layer.
- Replace needed base material and prepare it for the cold asphalt by compacting it with a tamp or plate compactor.
- Apply a tack coat (a liquid bonding agent) to the bottom and edges of the hole.
- Place the cold asphalt into the hole, compact each layer to the correct density, and continue until the proper grade is reached.
- Complete the repair by edging it with hot rubber to seal the seam where the patch meets the old asphalt to prevent water penetration and unraveling of the asphalt.
This method is used mostly during off-season periods when hot mix asphalt is unavailable.